Accepting card payments on your phone (ie without sending invoices)

A suggested we had on our public roadmap was to give a way to accept card payments from your phone.

We have the ability to accept card payments (via PayPal) on invoices, but sometimes you just want to accept a card payment in person, without going through the process of creating a whole invoice to send to someone.

It would be great to hear from people that don’t send invoices, but would like an easy way to accept card payments from people in person on your phone.

Another related idea to this is being able to send people quick links to a payment form for a particular amount, or for any amount (ie customer enters it), so that you can quickly send a payment page to a customer eg via Whatsapp that they can then easily go and pay through on their own phone.

Let us know your thoughts about how you’d like to accept customer payments without using our invoicing tool.

3 Likes

This is a good idea & would help if you’re helping someone who isn’t tech-savvy for example.

In the past I used iZettle, but would love a way in-app to carry this out.

I think it would be great as a payment link, so say someome charges £55 for a massage, you then can have it as a mini invoice, that you can whatsapp, email or text it to your clients. Also a great option for taking payments before treatments which can reduce no shows and late cancellations.

Be great if there was like a UK version of Stripe, with payment APIs and maybe connected with our accounts?

Also Stripe have Stripe connect which is great, especially for platforms like Lyft, Deliveroo etc if clients pay the platform, then payout the restaurant and delivery driver straight away.

I currently use Square (and Acuity) to take some client payments. I’m a yoga teacher so for students booking into a group class it’s easier to use these products than to invoice them individually. Esp when things are more ‘normal’ and someone rocks up to a class on the day.

A function I really like in Square is their ‘online checkout’ which enables me to share a link (or QR code) that a customer can tap on and pay immediately online with from their device using Apple Pay, credit card or Google Pay. It feels like something like that (or a tie in with them) could be a nice way to handle something like this.

Incidentally, I have found them to be cheaper, and that they pay out more quickly than PayPal and Stripe which is also a bonus. If you had a similar link system that paid directly into the acount or handled an immediate BACS transfer, that would be even cheaper/better.

Linking Tomato Pay would be a great idea for this. Fee free payments. Businesses can send payment links via chat or the customer can scan a QR code to perform a payment. Another great feature is no bank details are needed to perform the payment as an API links it to the users bank accounts. Instant payments that can them be reconciled within coconut would be a great feature and integration.

Tomato Pay :tomato: