Use preferred first name as sender on invoices

I’ve just started using Coconut invoicing now Wave are winding down their ability to take card payments, and overall I’ve been really impressed about how easy it was. Other than being able to send recurring invoices (which I know has its own thread) the only thing that is making it really difficult for me is my stupid name. I’m officially a Kathryn but literally nobody ever calls me that, but because that’s the legal name on my account, that’s what the sender shows up as on the invoice to clients.

I was worried it would confuse clients, and then I decided I was probably over-thinking it, but then literally the next day a client rang me and the first thing she said was how she was confused by the invoice and didn’t know what to call me :joy: I also obviously want to make sure clients can easily find my invoice and if they search for “Katy” then I’m guessing it won’t come up.

There is already a “preferred first name” field in the Personal Profile which I’ve set as Katy, so it would be amazing if this was reflected in the invoice email that was sent too.

I tried doing a workaround by sharing the invoice with myself before sending to the client but then it wouldn’t let me skip sending the invoice. I do want the client’s email to be on the invoice and I’d definitely prefer to send from the app if you can change the sender name :crossed_fingers:

Hi Katy,

Ooh, this sounds like a bit of an oversight on my part, I thought we did that automatically but yes indeed, I can see we’re setting that to the full name instead :man_facepalming: I will get that sorted into our next release (we do a regular update of things every week at minimum).

Thanks for mentioning as I’d not have noticed otherwise :sweat_smile:

jaymz

1 Like

Re. this bit - if you go to the three dots menu there should be an option to “mark as sent” which will move it into the unpaid area. Though it doesn’t have the benefit of the delivery/open tracking alas.

Oh yay amazing thanks! Appreciate you replying on a Friday night! I can’t see the three dots though (other than the ones on the main menu for accessing the settings etc.) and it would be useful to skip sending sometimes. I’m on Android if that helps.

Just wanted to follow up on this as it’s still showing as Kathryn not Katy, do I need to do anything in the settings? I also have some other invoicing feedback/requests, where’s the best place to share them?

Also I did a presentation to some students yesterday (who have or are planning to set up their own business) in which I mentioned Coconut, and there was lots of interest!

1 Like

Hi Katy,

This is my bad - I logged a ticket for this but then didn’t tag it properly so it got missed in the sprint planning. I have dug that out and just submitted for review a fix so hopefully if that passes our internal testing and no side issues get raised we can get that included in our release tomorrow evening :pray:

The change I’ve posted will just use the preferred/known as name on the from part of the email we send, but leave all other names as they are on the accounts etc.

Sorry about that!

jaymz

1 Like

Yay I’m not stupid Kathryn on the emails any more, thanks for sorting this!